After the founding of the Federal Republic of Germany in 1949, efforts were strengthened to create universal associations - and a better association for all of the lime producers in Germany. A key event was the relocation of the lime industry trade association office from Goslar to Cologne and its enrolment in the Registry of Associations under no. 2072 on August 1 1951.
A lime industry research laboratory resumed its activity on April 1 1950 after part of the Reichswerke A.G. construction material testing laboratory had been taken over by the Lime Industry Trade Association for ore mining and ironworks in Watenstedt.
Regular and specific tasks included tests for determining quality marks of building lime and research into the properties of lime in order to enhance the manufacturing process and the quality of lime products. As a result, work that was interrupted by the war could be resumed. The Institute’s first tasks were to monitor agricultural lime and quicklime delivered to industry. Another major task was to monitor - in accordance with the newly defined RAL system - building materials delivered for road construction which was required due to infrastructure being destroyed during the war.
In 1982 there was a significant change in the Institute’s structure and its financing. Up to this point IKM worked solely for members of the Federal Association of the German Lime Industry and was financed through membership dues. Then IKM changed to an institute that operated on the market and was financed by fees. This involved providing services to all types of customers including dry mortar manufacturers, engineering companies and surveyors. In the following years, IKM continually expanded its customer base in Germany and Europe. At the same time, employees at many of the national and European committees collaborated on the first generation of European standards. This is when IKM developed fundamental testing procedures for lime and mortar standards.
As part of a reorientation in 1996, IKM’s testing, monitoring and certification activity was reorganised. The Institute became purely a testing institute; monitoring and certification of construction materials was transferred to GG Cert. In 2004 IKM received its first successful accreditation according to ISO 17025, confirming IKM’s competence and independence.
For over 65 years the Institute for Lime and Mortar Research has been working for you. Our team of experienced professionals examine, investigate and offer advice in a comprehensive and knowledgeable manner. We look forward to future challenges and we will continue to strive to keep the Institute up to date both organisationally and technically in order to meet your requirements.